Superset is a set of two different exercises done one after another without rest. For example: do 8 reps of Barbell Bench Press drop the dumbbells and do 8 reps of Dumbbell Flys.
It’s extremely effective method for stimulating muscle growth. Two exercises combined together attack our muscles from different angles during one set. You don’t have to wait long for the effects. First superset in your life will pump your muscles like never before and you will notice growth nearly the next day.
Supersets can be done for two opposite muscles groups like biceps & triceps but I am not a big fan of them. You can do them for one muscle group as well and that’s the one I love the most.
I’ve trained in many different gyms in my life and I have to say that not many people use this method. I believe it’s because they never tried it. To realize how effective supersets really are you have to try them yourself. I believe, once you’ll try them, you’ll regret you didn’t know about them before. If any part of your body is underdeveloped, this method will help you immediate.
Examples of supersets:
- Barbell Bench Press supersetted with Dumbbell Flys
- Dumbbell Incline Bench Press + Barbell Incline Bench Press
- Military Press + Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press + Barbell Upright Row
- Barbell Shrugs Behind Back + Barbell Shrugs
- Pull-Ups + Seated Cable Rows
- Chin-Ups + Wide Grip Pull-Downs
- Leg Extensions + Squat
- Alternated Dumbbell Curls + Barbell Curls
- Parallel Dips + Dips Behind Back
When you superset any two exercises together don’t do much more than 8 reps per exercise (16-20 reps per superset) and remember that it is very intense method and shouldn’t be used every workout.