Barbell curl is a fundamental and the best exercise for biceps. It’s the best because we can use quiet heavy weight comparing to any other exercises for this muscle group.
To perform Barbell Curl correctly:
- Grab a barbell with an underhand, shoulder-width grip. Arms fully extended.
- Flex your arms until the bar is in front of your chin and squeeze biceps as hard as you can.
- Return slowly to the starting position keeping arm muscles contracted.
The worst mistake that 60% people at the gym do is swinging the body to lift the weight up. If you have to do the same it means that the weight is too heavy.
The technique of this exercise may vary – many people do it different way. Some guys bring the barbell in the top position up to their chest or neck, some to their chin and some go as far as to their nose. I think the most natural and effective way is to stop at the chin level.
Things to remember:
- keep the upper body stable,
- use your biceps to get the weight up not your back,
- keep your arms as much stationary as you can, the only part of the body that should move is your forearms.
I like to use the proper olympic bar for curls. I believe the bigger and the heavier barbell is the more effective exercise becomes. However some people find straight bar very uncomfortable or discover pain in their forearms. If you feel the same you can use easy-curl bar for this exercise.