To perform Bent Over Barbell Row:
- Stand on the floor with your feet flat, shoulders width apart. Grab a barbell with an overhand grip, wider than your shoulders.
- Bend your knees slightly and lean forward until your upper body is parallel (or near parallel) to the floor. Keep your lower back straight, tense your abs and look forward. Chest pushed out.
- Use your back muscles to pull the bar up until it touches to your abs.
- Lift it down until your arms are fully extended.
The most common mistake is rounding the lower back and pulling barbell to your chest instead your abs. Remember: keep your back straight, chest pushed out and pull to your abdominals.
- wide, overhand grip – targets more the upper part of your back muscles and forearms.
- close, underhand grip – lower part of your lats and biceps is more involved.
Start this exercise from very light weight or even an empty barbell. Use the muscles of your back to pull the weight instead your arms. Keep this in mind.