Here’s an 8 week workout for ‘six pack’. I want you to train your ABS once or twice a week with a minimum rest of 48 hours between. First month we’ll be building mass in our abdominal muscles. Second month we’ll train for a definition. If you are a beginner do only first two exercises of each workout.
- Dumbbell Side Bends 12/10/8 to each side – stand straight with your feet flat on a floor. Grab a dumbbell in one hand. Other hand you can put on your hip or behind your head. Bend to the side, like you were trying to touch your knee with a dumbbell, tense your abdominal muscles and return to the starting position. Make sure your hips don’t move. Repeat.
Kneeling Cable Crunches 12/10/8 – Kneel in front of high pulley. Grab a rope with both hands and keep them touching your ears. Now keeping your ABS tensed and your hips stationary bend your waist like you were trying to touch your quads with your elbows. Hold for 2 seconds on a bottom and slowly return.
Hanging Leg Raises 3xF – hang down from a chin-up bar with an overhand grip, shoulders width apart. Tense your abs and lift your legs until they are above parallel to the floor. Try to hold it for 2 seconds. Very slowly lift your legs down keeping your abs contracted.
12/10/8 means 3 sets – do set of 12 repetitions, add weigh and do 10 reps, add weight and do another 8.
3xF – three sets till failure (as many as you can).
Rest between sets – 60-120 seconds.
Do some hip flexor stretching after each workout.
So once again:
- Dumbbell Side Bends 12/10/8 to each side
- Kneeling Cable Crunches 12/10/8
- Hanging Leg Raises 3xF
After 4 weeks change above workout to the one below, where we’ll be adding some definition into your six pack.
- Stability Ball Twisting Crunches 15/15/15 to each side – lay back on a stability ball with your feet on the floor and your knees bent in 90 degrees angle. Keep your hands behind your head. Now lift and twist your torso up, like you were trying to touch with your left elbow to right knee, hold for 2 seconds and return. Repeat to the other side.
Reverse crunches 20/20/20 – lay down like you were trying to perform a normal crunch – back flat on a floor. Keep legs in the air, knees bent in 90 degrees angle. Now instead lifting your upper torso from the floor use your lower abs to lift your hips up, like you were trying to touch with your knees to your head, hold again for 2 sec, and lift down.
Stability Ball Crunches 20/20/20 – laying on a stability ball perform normal crunch. Pause for 2 seconds at the top, very slowly return.
Stability balls are very helpful because we have to use more muscles to keep our body stable but if your gym isn’t equipped with any of them perform these exercises on a floor.
Rest between sets – up to 60 seconds only.
Don’t worry if you can’t do as many repetitions. Just do as many as you can.
- Stability Ball Twisting Crunches 15/15/15
- Reverse Crunches 20/20/20
- Stability Ball Crunches 20/20/20
After 8 weeks of this workout your ABS will change unrecognizable and if you don’t have thick layer of fat covering them, six pack will appear and you will be really satisfied with a results.